Category and Level
Geographical area of responsibility
Maiduguri with visits to field locations
5 months with possibility of extension
Brief description of the post
The overall goal of the position is to ensure that security and safety protocols are developed and applied in all NCA offices and guest houses in Nigeria and that the protocols are adaptable to the changing context of programming in Northeast Nigeria. Additionally, the position will support partners in establishing key security protocols to guide their operations.
Specific objectives of mission
Security Management: Implement and adapt security management procedures, ensuring that risks are clearly understood, and SOPs reflect the program needs in the operation area
Staff, and Asset Safety: Ensure measures that assure staff safety are budgeted for and implemented. Provide measures for safeguarding NCA assets in all locations and liaise with other relevant departments to ensure these are implemented
Trainings: Provide on-job safety and security trainings to staff and outsource for specific safety and security trainings based on analyzed training needs.
Liaison and Coordination: Regularly attend security coordination meetings and liaise with other actors in monitoring security environment
Reporting: Ensure prompt incident reporting and action as needed and compile monthly reports as required.
Roles and responsibilities
- Implement NCA’s Security Risk Management standard, including conducting threat and risk analyses for NCA’s operational areas, devising risk mitigation measures, and updating CO security and contingency plans
- Maintain and implement location and situation-based security standard operating procedures (SOPs) as applicable and ensure staff adherence to security protocols
- Adapt security protocols to the shifting operation context in NE Nigeria as need may be.
- Implement an incident and crisis management protocol for the mission identifying and assigning responsibilities as appropriate, in consultation with Head of Mission
- Participate in security crisis management
- Conduct regular safety audits of all NCA premises and recommend measures that would reduce risk, focusing on prevention and deterrence.
- Ensure that Security guards at all NCA premises have undergone basic safety and security trainings and maintain clear records on the same
- In consultation with Admin Manager, ensure that safety features are installed in NCA premises
- Advise the Admin Manager on safety requirements for asset and commodity movements, asset and commodity storage and use.
- Ensure all NCA premises are equipped with fire extinguishers in clearly marked locations
- Ensure that all NCA premises and vehicles used by NCA staff on official duty are equipped with first aid kits
- Identify hibernation options for staff and ensure that hibernation kits stocks are always available in all locations.
- Ensure that staff are assigned means for emergency communication when deployed to deep field locations.
- Conduct safety and security trainings to all new staff before deployment to filed locations and or Maiduguri
- Analyse staff security and safety needs and share with line managers.
- Develop a catalogue of mandatory trainings that staff should undertake before deployment to deep field locations and communicate this to line managers
- Maintain records of staff safety and security trainings
- Outsource specific safety and security trainings and liaise with line managers to identify who can benefit from the same
- Conduct regular refresher security and safety trainings to security guards deployed at NCA premises
- Train staff on the use and maintenance of security communication equipment: Thuraya phones, radios
- Ensure close coordination of NCA security protocols with other actors in the operation areas and keep monitoring for any actions that may elevate our security risk for immediate remedy
- Attend security coordination meetings regularly and keep the Head of Mission informed on any new developments
- Liaise with the Logistics department for cargo movements to ensure security protocols are followed
- Liaise with the Admin department before vehicles are deployed to deep field locations to assess the vehicle conditions, drivers’ awareness of security requirements and safety provisions in the vehicles
- Liaise with the Security Advisor at Head office and keep updated on new NCA global security and safety issues as they emerge.
- Ensure that incidents are promptly reported, and clear actions are taken as needed.
- Compile monthly security reports and share with Head of Mission
- Ensure that staff understand and clearly apply the incident reporting tools as needed
- Approve and monitor staff travel to field locations
- Receive daily staff check-ins from all the deep field locations through a designated focal person
- Bachelor’s degree in security and conflict management, political science, international relations, social development or another related field
- 5 years’ experience as Safety and Security Officer
- At least two years working experience in Northeast Nigeria in the last 7 years
- Documented NGO experience
- Able to travel to field locations
- Documented experience on providing security training
- Able to work and solve problems independently
- Strong interpersonal, communication and cooperation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Good team and capacity building skills
- Able to work and stay calm under pressure
- Good command of English, both written and oral
- Good reporting skills
- Ability to travel field to locations
- Ability to speak at least two of the dominant languages in the operation area; Kanuri and Hausa
- Good negotiation skills
- A first-aid training qualification
- Borno state residents, both current and former, are encouraged to apply
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.